This page may contain affiliate links, they are marked with a *. Making a purchase through my affiliate means that I receive a small portion of the sale.
If you’re looking for lower body exercises or a lower body workout you can do at home, I’ve got it! A lot of people look to these exercises to tone their thighs, but personally, I’m a fan of just strengthening my legs.
The benefit of having strong legs means that I can be a stronger cyclist, a stronger runner, and essentially a stronger human being. I teach a lower body class online every week called BadAss, which is not only one of my favorites to teach, but is a popular class for participants.
What is a lower body workout?
As far as I’m concerned, a lower body workout targets everything from the waist down, but will generally include your core since your core works most of the time.
It’s leg day basically.
However, the type of session can vary. Do you want to work your legs and get a cardio hit? Or do you want to work slow and strengthen your lower body? Or maybe a mix of both is perfect?
Beginner? Start here:
Lower Body Exercises You Can Add to Your Workouts
If you’re a fan of lower body exercises at home, here are 5 moves you can add to your routine. To be honest, they can be done anywhere: the gym, your hotel, or outdoors!
The best part is that you can add whatever gear you have to increase the intensity and burn (if you want!). You can use kettlebells, dumbbells, or resistance bands, or just stick to bodyweight.
If you have a plyo box at home, or there’s one you can use at your gym, you should try these 3 Plyo Box Exercises to Burn Your Lower Body.
1. Sumo squats with pulses
This variation of a squat targets the inner thighs.
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder-width apart, heels in and toes out
- Drop your hips back and down as if you were going to sit in a chair, without leaning your upper body forward.
- Continue lowering – “squat” – until the thighs are parallel to the floor
- Try to keep pressure on the outside edge of your feet and push your knees back/open them
- Squeeze your butt and core as you push yourself back up and back up to your feet.
- Complete 3 repetitions of Sumo Squats, on the next keep your thighs parallel to the floor and pulse 3 times, rising slightly from the squat position.
Remember: make sure your knees follow your second and third toes. They should not hit or roll; use a mirror to check your technique.
2. Good morning
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart
- Leading with your hips, lean forward while maintaining minimal bending in your knees.
- When you start to feel a gentle stretch in your hamstring, squeeze your glutes and return to standing position, keeping your back straight.
3. Jump squats with steps back
- Stand with your feet hip-width or shoulder-width apart
- Drop your hips back and down as if you were going to sit in a chair.
- Continue lowering – “squat” – aiming thighs parallel to the floor
- Squeeze your butt and core to lift yourself off the ground, jump into the air, then land with your knees straight into a squat.
- return to stop or repeat
4. Gluteal bridge with abductions
- Lie on the floor, with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
- Place your arms at your sides, palms down.
- Squeeze your glutes to lift your hips off the ground until your knees, hips, and shoulders form a straight line.
- Keeping your feet flat on the floor, open your knees wide, then squeeze them to hip-width apart.
- Slowly lower your jumps towards the group.
Remember: Squeeze those glutes hard and keep your abs tight so you don’t overextend your back during the exercise.
5. Squat Shots
- Start standing with your legs and feet together, then push your hips back and down to lower yourself into a squat.
- Keeping in this low position, jump up with your feet apart, then jump back to hip-width apart.
- Try to keep this low position the entire time, while jumping your feet in and out repeatedly.
Lower body workouts at home
If you’re looking for lower body exercises for beginners, you might want to join a live class where you can get instruction and feedback on your form. This ensures that you are doing the exercises correctly and will reduce the risk of injury.
Meet Badass – Live & Online Lower Body Workouts
This is a 30 minute lower body workout that features a number of different lower body bodyweight exercises suitable for all levels. You can try a free Badass workout here and learn about glute activation exercises.
You can check out my full class schedule or find great classes as part of my on-demand membership.
LOWER BODY COOL DOWN:
I hope you found lower body inspiration here. Hopefully we’ll catch you in a live class, but if not, please leave any questions or feedback you have in the comments below!
What is your favorite lower body exercise or workout?
PS Safety always comes first. If you are new to exercise, be sure to seek the advice of your GP. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids, wear appropriate clothing, and exercise in a suitable space. Technique is paramount, and nothing should hurt. If you experience pain, discomfort, nausea, dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, etc. STOP and see your GP.