Everyone loves the classic Italian-inspired Caprese pizza! This easy homemade pizza is topped with heirloom tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella, and sweet and spicy balsamic glaze. It is incredibly delicious as a vegetarian appetizer or main course. And the best part is that you only need six ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make!
If you really want to kick things up a notch for your next pizza night, this is the way to do it.
A classic Italian-inspired caprese pizza hits all the right flavor notes. Especially when you have fresh heirloom tomatoes on hand (in season in late summer). Don’t forget the drizzle of balsamic glaze for an extra touch of sweet and tangy flavor.
This recipe would be great for a party, but it’s also quick and easy enough for a casual weeknight at home. There really is no bad time for pizza, is there?
If you’re looking for a few more pastries to add to the rotation, try a fall-inspired Roasted Brussels Sprouts pizza with cranberries, walnuts, and goat cheese, vegan plant-based caramelized onion and mushroom naan pizzas, or vegan pizza from fruity blackberry pesto.
As a side dish, I recommend a Mediterranean lentil salad with feta and mint or baby smashed potatoes with pesto sauce.
You only need six ingredients to make this caprese pizza at home. Here’s what to pick up next time you’re at the store.
- Pizza Dough (You can buy pre-made dough at the store to make yourself. I like to use this homemade pizza dough recipe from Ooni Pizza ovens.)
- Pizza sauce (Again, you can buy ready-made pizza sauce at the grocery store or make your own. I like this homemade pizza sauce recipe from Joy Food Sunshine.)
- Tomatoes (I prefer heirloom tomatoes, but any kind works.)
- Fresh Mozzarella (buy sliced or cut yourself)
- fresh basil
- Balsamic Glaze (Be sure to buy balsamic glaze and not balsamic vinegar! The frosting is thicker and has a sweeter taste.)
These are the basic steps to make the best homemade caprese pizza.
Preheat oven with pizza stone in. Once preheated, remove the stone and place the stretched pizza dough on top.
Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce over the dough. Leave about a half inch of the dough uncovered around the edges.
Arrange sliced tomatoes and mozzarella on top. Transfer pizza to oven and cook until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
Remove pizza from oven and top with fresh basil and balsamic glaze. Cut into pieces and serve!
Clue: If your tomato slices are very juicy, use a paper towel to gently pat them dry before adding them to the pizza. This will keep the pizza from getting too soggy.
- Basil: If you don’t have fresh basil, substitute the baby arugula. Toss vegetables with oil and vinegar before adding to pizza if desired. You can also sprinkle dried basil on top of the pizza for the herb flavor.
- Fresh Mozzarella: Use low-moisture mozzarella or shredded mozzarella/Italian cheese blend in place of fresh mozzarella if that’s what you have.
- Balsamic Glaze: You can make this pizza without the balsamic glaze. It’s still delicious!
- Gluten Free: Substitute gluten free pizza dough.
- On the grill: did you know that you can cook pizza on the grill? Check out this Tastes Better from Scratch Grilled Pizza Recipe.
- Outdoor Pizza Oven – This pizza is delicious prepared in an outdoor pizza oven. Set the cooking time according to your oven manual.
- Peach Caprese – Use fresh peaches in place of tomatoes to give this pizza a fruity twist.
- Veggie – Add sliced mushrooms and bell peppers for a fully loaded veggie pizza.
- Naan Pizza – Naan flatbreads are a delicious alternative to traditional pizza crust. Try my naan pizza recipe here.
- Pesto: Give this pizza a more herbaceous flavor by using pesto sauce instead of the traditional tomato.
- Knife and cutting board – You will need a knife and cutting board to cut the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
- Pizza Stone: I love to use a pizza stone to get the crust nice and crispy. You can also use a pizza pan or baking sheet, just keep in mind that the crust probably won’t be as crispy.
- Oven: I use my regular indoor oven for this recipe.
Store leftover pizza in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to five days. I recommend reheating the pizza in the oven for the best results.
Using a pizza stone is the best way to get a crispy crust. Preheat oven with pizza stone in. The longer the stone heats up, the crispier your crust will be!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A classic caprese pizza is made with tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella. Sometimes it also includes balsamic glaze.
Caprese pizza is made without meat and is usually vegetarian. Look for a fresh vegetarian mozzarella made without animal rennet.
Using a pizza stone is the best way to make pizza with a crispy crust. Preheat the pizza stone in the oven for the best results.
Caprese pizza with tomato, basil and mozzarella
This easy homemade caprese pizza is topped with heirloom tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella and spicy balsamic glaze.
Servings: 2 people
Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with pizza stone in.
Remove the pizza stone and place the pizza dough on top.
Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the dough, leaving about a half-inch of space around the edges for the crust.
Arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices over the tomato sauce.
Transfer pizza to oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove pizza from oven and top with basil and balsamic glaze.
Cut into wedges and serve with crushed red pepper and oregano if desired.
Note on the pizza dough: Pizza dough is easier to stretch or roll out at room temperature.
Tomato note: I prefer sliced heirloom tomatoes for this recipe, but any kind will work. If the tomatoes are too juicy, pat them dry with a paper towel before adding them to the pizza.
Preparation: Prepare the homemade pizza dough and sauce up to five days in advance if you store them in the refrigerator. You can also freeze for up to three months.
Storage: Store leftover pizza in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Nutritional data are estimates only.
Service: 0.5pizza | Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 13gram | Protein: 14gram | Fat: 13gram | Saturated fat: 7gram | Polyunsaturated fat: 1gram | monosaturated fat: 4gram | Cholesterol: Four. Fivemilligrams | Sodium: 556milligrams | Potassium: 303milligrams | Fiber: 1gram | Sugar: 7gram | Vitamin A: 1131UI | Vitamin C: elevenmilligrams | Calcium: 301milligrams | Iron: 1milligrams