This Imitation Billy Miner Pie Recipe is sure to satisfy your craving for The Keg’s famous dessert!
You’ll love this easy copycat recipe for Billy Miner’s Pie – a classic dessert that will leave everyone wanting more!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
While there’s something special about going to a restaurant for a great meal and dessert, we all know it’s not always possible to do so.
Luckily, you can create copycat versions of many favorite restaurants at home! Often they are also much cheaper!
If you’ve ever had Billy Miner’s Pie from The Keg Steakhouse, you know what fun it is. It’s like mocha ice cream cake, but in pie form – with an Oreo crumb crust, caramel sauce and tangy fudge sauce to boot!
We’re sharing our version of a Billy Miner pie you can make at home. The best part is that it’s super delicious and can be made with just a few simple ingredients!
Why do they call it Billy Miner Pie?
Billy Miner was Canada’s first train robber, known as the “gentleman bandit” because he apparently committed his crimes without violence.
He was considered something of a Robinhood figure of his time and was regaled by many as a hero.
The barrel named their signature dessert in honor of Billy, and it is generally considered one of the best desserts on the menu.
Other delicious desserts you’ll love:
How To Make This Billy Miner Copycat Pie Recipe
It’s “easy as pie” to prepare this delicious ice cream dessert!
Ingredients you will need:
- Oreo cookies, crushed
- Coffee ice cream (or mocha or cappuccino flavor)
- sliced almonds
- caramel sauce
- chocolate sauce
How to do it:
Make the crust. In a mixing bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter, stirring to combine.
Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Freeze for about 30 minutes and allow the ice cream to soften during this time.
Fill the crust. Spread the softened ice cream evenly over the prepared Oreo crust. Sprinkle the slivered almonds over the ice cream layer.
Water and freeze. Drizzle the top of the pie with caramel sauce and chocolate sauce, then transfer to the freezer for at least 6 hours.
Alternatively, you can wait to drizzle the sauces until the pie is frozen.
Serve. When you’re ready to serve, you can let the pie sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly before slicing.
A hot knife is also useful for slicing the pie while it’s frozen!
You may want to let individual slices rest for a few minutes before serving, just to soften a bit.
Or dive right in, it’s up to you! 🙂
Notes and adaptations:
- You can use a food processor to crush the cookies into crumbs or place the cookies in a zip lock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Sometimes you can also find Oreo baking crumbs at your local grocery store.
- If you need this recipe to be nut-free, just omit the sliced almonds.
- We recommend using good quality ice cream. Sometimes the coffee flavored options are a little harder to find, so they might be labeled as mocha ice cream, coffee ice cream, cappuccino ice cream, etc.
- A standard container of ice cream in grocery stores is 48 ounces. We usually call this a “half gallon” of ice cream because in the past standard containers were actually half a gallon. Nowadays they are more like 1.5 liters.
6 hours 30 minutes
6 hours 35 minutes
For the pie dough:
3 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the pie filling:
48 oz mocha or coffee ice cream
½ cup sliced almonds
For garnish :
¼ cup caramel sauce
¼ cup chocolate sauce
- In a small bowl, combine Oreo cookie crumbs and melted butter until evenly moistened.
- Press the mixture into a 9 inch springform pan and freeze for 30 minutes. Let the ice cream soften during this time.
- Spread the softened ice cream evenly over the prepared crust, then sprinkle the sliced almonds over the ice cream layer.
- Drizzle with caramel and chocolate sauce (alternatively, you can wait to drizzle the sauces until the pie is frozen, just before serving).
- Freeze for 6 hours. When ready to serve, let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, then remove the side edge of the pan and serve.
Amount per serving:
calories: 387Total fat: 20gSaturated fat: 10gTrans fat: 0gUnsaturated fat: 10gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically and its accuracy is not guaranteed.
Be sure to save this recipe to your dessert board on Pinterest!