This homemade chili seasoning It is seriously the perfect blend of chili spices. It’s smoky and flavorful and only requires 6 total ingredients.
There are countless ways you can use this chili seasoning! Not only can you use it in any of our chili recipes, but you can also use it in recipes like this tasty Chili Cheese Dip!
If you look in my cabinet you will see a giant jar of this homemade chili seasoning at all times. We use it in our award-winning chili recipe, so I guess by default, this spice blend is award-winning too!
I love that it only requires 6 ingredients and does not use any additives or preservatives like you would find in a chili seasoning packet.
Quick tip: Use 3 to 4 tablespoons of this chili seasoning per chili recipe.
What You Need for Homemade Chili Seasoning (Chili Spice)
Our chili seasoning mix is flavorful and smoky, not too spicy and very flavorful. The key is to have the perfect balance of all the classic chili spices.
- chilli powder
- Garlic powder
- ground cumin
- smoked paprika
- Ground pepper
Make it spicier: If you want your chili to be spicy, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. You can even out the smoked paprika and/or add chipotle powder.
Make it sweeter: If you want to add a bit of sweetness to your chili seasoning, add a teaspoon of brown sugar or coconut sugar to the mix. And, to really enhance this sweetness, you can add a pinch of ground cinnamon!
Can I add other flavors to my chili?
Yeah! You can add any other flavors you like to your seasoning mix. Try adding:
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- a little brown sugar
- cayenne pepper for more spice
- onion powder for a mild flavor
Organize your homemade spices with this empty glass spice jar set!
Frequently asked questions
What do I store my homemade chili seasoning in?
There are so many great options for spice storage these days. As long as you have an airtight container, you’re golden. If you don’t want to buy new spice containers, save the old spice containers, wash them, and save them for when you make homemade spice blends.
How long does this chile seasoning last?
Store your seasoning blend in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
Can I use chili powder instead of chili seasoning?
Good news for you, most of our homemade chili seasonings (and most store-bought recipes) are made from chili powder! So yes, use chili powder, but also be sure to add other key spices like ground cumin, garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
What is the best secret ingredient for chili?
The secret ingredient in chili, you ask? Our secret ingredient isn’t actually in this spice mix…but it could be! The secret ingredient we use in most chili recipes is maple syrup! A bit of sweetness really helps bring out the flavors of the spices.
Store your chili spices in an airtight container or glass jar in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
Use your chili seasoning recipe in other recipes!
- Roasted Root Vegetables – Sprinkle on a couple of tablespoons for added flavor to this healthy roasted vegetable recipe.
- Grilled Chicken: Use 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of spices per pound of chicken breast.
- Mexican Beef Skillet – Out of taco seasoning? Use this instead instead! They are quite similar, actually.
- Baked Beans – Swap out the spices in our baked beans recipe and use this mix instead.
Homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe
Whip up a batch of our Homemade Chili Seasoning in less than 5 minutes with just 6 total ingredients. It is made with a chili powder base but also includes garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Place all the ingredients for the chili seasoning in a large glass bowl or mason jar.
Cover the jar and shake until all the spices are combined.
Store chili seasoning in a cool, dry place with the jar tightly covered.
Tips and Notes
- This recipe makes about 1 cup.
- In a typical chili recipe, use about 3-4 tablespoons of homemade chili seasoning.
- Single lot: To make a single batch of this homemade chili seasoning, follow these measurements: 3 tablespoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper.
Calories: 101kcal Carbohydrates: 18gram Protein: 5gram Fat: 4gram Fiber: 9gram Sugar: 2gram