This 5 stars Honey Garlic Chicken It’s made in the slow cooker and is perfect for any weeknight meal. It’s kid-friendly and made with 5 simple ingredients.
This Honey Garlic Chicken (Slow Cooker) is a Fit Foodie Finds reader favorite. Many of you have made this dish over and over again and we hope you like it!
This Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is flavorful, sweet, and spicy all at the same time, and made with just 5 ingredients. Slow cook chicken in sauce on high for 2-3 minutes or on low for 4-5.
“I’ve been making this recipe for a couple of years and it’s one of my absolute favorite meals because it’s so convenient and delicious! It’s made with ingredients I always have on hand and requires very little effort with the crock pot. I have also recently started making it as a frozen meal to give to friends with newborns and have been asked for the recipe several times! You won’t regret making this one!!!” -kenna
What’s in Honey Garlic Chicken?
You read that correctly, this amazing Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken is made with only 5 ingredients.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: we’re using chicken breast, but you’re more than welcome to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Minced garlic: you will need 3 whole tablespoons of minced garlic. Trust us.
- Honey: we love that honey is an all-natural sweetener. Also, it goes very well with soy sauce and garlic.
- Soy sauce (or tamari): the soy sauce adds a great salty flavor and has a decent amount of salt as well.
- Red Chili Garlic Sauce: Do you want to add some heat, but not too much spice? A little red chili garlic sauce goes a long way.
Slow cooking pot
If you need a slow cooker, we love our 7-qt. crock pot!
To get one!
Frequently asked questions
What does honey garlic chicken taste like?
This Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The honey balances out the chili sauce to make a sticky and delicious sauce.
What kind of chicken do I use in honey garlic chicken?
We used chicken breasts for this Honey Garlic Chicken recipe. If you like dark meat, feel free to use chicken thighs (bone-in or bone-in).
Do I need to brown the chicken before it goes into the slow cooker?
It is not necessary to brown the chicken before it is cooked in the slow cooker.
Why is my Crock Pot Chicken so runny?
As your chicken cooks inside the covered slow cooker, it releases steam. This steam condenses on the bottom of the lid and drips back onto the chicken making it appear “watery”.
What is honey garlic chicken made of?
Honey Garlic Chicken is a simple yet flavorful recipe made with chicken breasts, garlic, honey and soy sauce, and a little chili garlic sauce for heat.
Is honey garlic chicken spicy?
Most honey garlic chicken recipes are mild in flavor, but you can add chili garlic sauce or sriracha for added heat.
Honey Garlic Chicken Instant Pot Instructions
- Place the chicken breast and honey garlic sauce in your Instant Pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes. quick release
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot and use 2 forks to shred.
- Thicken the sauce by removing 1/4 cup of the sauce and whisking it with 1/2 tablespoon of the cornstarch. Pour the sauce and shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot and mix.
- Turn on the sauté function and bring the sauce to a boil to activate the cornstarch.
- Once thickened serve immediately.
Chicken Thighs With Honey Garlic Sauce
How to Store Honey Garlic Chicken
Store this Honey Garlic Chicken in an airtight container for 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator. We recommend keeping Honey Garlic Chicken separate from other ingredients (rice, vegetables, etc.).
frozen food instructions
This Honey Garlic Chicken makes a great frozen meal if you are making a meal for yourself or loved ones.
- Create a honey garlic sauce by mixing together minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, and red chili garlic sauce until the honey has dissolved.
- Then, place the chicken breast in a gallon-size freezer-safe bag and pour the sauce on top.
- Remove as much air as possible from the bag and seal it tight.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
Want to learn how to reheat this frozen meal? See how here.
You can easily turn this slow cooker chicken breast recipe into an amazing chicken meal prep by pairing it with your favorite grain and stir-fried vegetables.
First, create your honey garlic sauce. Whisk together the minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, and red chili garlic sauce until the honey is completely dissolved.
Next, place the chicken breast in the bottom of your slow cooker. Then, pour the sauce over the chicken.
Turn slow cooker to High and cook 2-3 hours OR Low and cook 4-5 hours.
Once your chicken is fully cooked (165ºF internally) and tender, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred.
If you want to thicken the sauce, remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and add 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch until dissolved. Then pour that back into the slow cooker and mix until just combined.
Then add the chicken back to the crockpot and mix it into the sauce. Cover and let cook for 10 more minutes on high heat so that the sauce thickens completely.
Serve with your favorite cereal and vegetables. Top with sesame seeds and green onion.
Tips and Notes
- Nutrition is only for the chicken.
- Cornstarch is optional, but your sauce will be thin if you don’t use it.
- This recipe was slightly updated on January 19, 2022. Nothing major was changed.
Calories: 214kcal Carbohydrates: 26gram Protein: 25gram Fat: 3gram Fiber: 0gram Sugar: 23gram